Explore Resources on Workplace Mental Health
Find additional resources to help create a mental health-friendly workplace.
The resources on this page can help support the development and growth of policies, programs and procedures that support workplace mental health.
Mental Health and Employment
EARN Mental Health Resources:
- Webinar: Mental Health and Wellness in the Workplace (March 11, 2021): This webinar hosted by EARN, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP) and National Industry Liaison Group (NILG) Alliance, shared information on effective employer practices on mental health and wellness in the workplace with guest speakers Diana Gulick, Associate Director of Global Benefits and Wellbeing for Merck, and Nakisha Pugh, Senior Policy Advisor for ODEP.
- Mental Health and Wellness in the Workplace: Webinar Learning Guide (PDF): This companion piece for the Mental Health and Wellness webinar explores why workplace mental health is important, ways to ensure workplace mental health programs are inclusive and provides links to additional resources.
- Checklist for Mentally Healthy Workplaces (PDF): This EARN checklist helps employers implement strategies to create mentally health-friendly workplaces.
- Case Study: Lead the Way: Merck’s Inclusive Business Culture (PDF): Learn about strategies pharmaceutical company Merck used to support workplace mental health.
External Mental Health Resources:
- Center for Workplace Mental Health: Offers a range of tools to help employers create a more supportive workplace environment and advance mental health policies at their organizations, including the “Working Well Toolkit” and a list of employer resources. The Center also provides specific guidance related to employee mental health during and beyond COVID-19, supporting workers as they return to the workplace in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and recommendations for improving access to mental health and substance use treatment.
- Mental Illness and Work: A webpage from Mental Health America outlining eight strategies for supporting mental health at work.
- JAN’s Publications and Articles on Workplace Mental Health: The Job Accommodation Network’s list of publications, blog posts, articles and more on the topic of workplace supports for people with mental health impairments.
- Boston University Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation: Workforce Retention, Modifications and Accommodations: Information and resources to help employers retain workers with psychiatric disabilities.
- Best Practices for Improving Workplace Mental Health: A Review of the Literature: A Literature Review conducted by the Global Social Enterprise Initiative at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business as a partner in EARN.
- My Uncommon Experience with a Mental Health Condition at Work: Campaign for Disability Employment guest blog by Andy Imparato, former Executive Director of the Association of University Centers on Disabilities, in which he reflects on his experiences working with a mental health disorder.
Resources on Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder:
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHA) Assess Your Workplace: This part of SAMHSA’s Drug-Free Workplace Toolkit provides information on conducting a needs assessment to learn what types of substance use issues your organization might be facing and find approaches for addressing them.
- Mental Health America: Co-Occurring Mental Health and Substance Abuse: This section of the Mental Health America website helps increase understanding of key issues in the area of substance use and co-occurring disorders.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Alcohol and Substance Misuse: Links to resources on alcohol and substance use disorders, including information related to workplace issues.
- The Implications of COVID-19 for Mental Health and Substance Use: This KFF issue brief explores mental health and substance use issues prior to and during the COVID-19 pandemic.