4As: Offer Employee ASSISTANCE
Learn about resources to assist employees who have, or may develop, mental health conditions, or substance use disorders.
Providing assistance and support to employees with mental health conditions or substance use disorders is an essential part of an inclusive workplace.
Employee Assistance Program (EAPs)
Many employers support employees by sponsoring EAPs focused on substance abuse disorders and mental health services. According to the International Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), EAPs “serve organizations and their employees in multiple ways, ranging from consultation at the strategic level about issues with organization-wide implications to individual assistance to employees and family members experiencing personal difficulties.”
These difficulties may include, but are not limited to:
- Stress, whether work-related or not
- Alcohol and other substance misuse, including misuse of prescription drugs
- Major life transitions
- Health care management concerns
- Financial or legal concerns
- Family or personal relationship concerns, including those related to marriage, children. or aging parents
- Coworker relationship concerns
- Work/life balance